Thursday, December 24, 2009

CRYSTAL SALT STICK DEODORANT

I can't believe I didn't make this my first post.  I used deodorant from about age 9, and antiperspirant probably since it was invented, and was ever on a quest for the most powerful and effective formula. Yes, in recent years I was troubled by the reports that antiperspirants are unhealthy at best and can cause cancer at worst. But I could see no choice but to take my chances for lack of a socially acceptable alternative. I'm not even sure what prompted me to try the natural mineral salts crystal stick when I noticed it in the health food store, but since it was inexpensive, I bought one with absolutely no expectation of it doing the job for me. I only dared try it when I wasn't planning to go out, and to my complete shock -- it actually worked, very effectively indeed!  I have been using it for several years with more consistent results in odor control than I get even with the strong stuff.

I do need to say that although it very effectively controls odor, it does not stop perspiration.  I'm not sure how that works!  But on occasion when it is important not to sweat -- like wearing a good dress at a summer wedding -- I bring out the Mitchum.  But there is hardly a time when I really have that need. It makes me wonder if the health threat from antiperspirants is not so much that the chemicals are harmful as that it's unhealthy to never sweat.

A potential problem -- I find that it can be irritating to my skin, especially right after shaving. But I found a solution that seems to take care of that. The stick must be moistened before applying, so instead of using  plain water, I spray it with a few spritzes of witch hazel.  I find that I rarely experience any skin irritation using this procedure and I think the witch hazel actually gives some additional odor protection.

This is definitely worth a try for the positive benefits:
- A healthy alternative
- No residue to deal with on clothing
- Economy! - I get a $4 stick that lasts several months

No comments:

Post a Comment