Monday, December 21, 2009

LAUNDRY DETERGENT

Not only is this the most economical way possible to clean clothes, but I like it better than commercial detergent. All natural ingredients -- it takes me about 15 minutes to "cook up" a batch that lasts several weeks doing laundry for two of us. There are endless variations on homemade laundry products. This is the first one I tried and honestly liked it so well I never tried other combinations. You can add essential oils for more fragrance, but I love the fresh just plain clean scent I get with the basic formula.

This bulk amount is easy to work with and fits easily into my empty commercial detergent pump container. I priced this out and it comes to 1-1/4 CENTS per load!

In a large cooking pot* mix:
1/6 bar of Fels Naptha soap** grated with cheese grater
               (I first mark bar in 6ths with a knife)
3 cups water
Heat and stir till soap dissolves
Add and stir to dissolve:
1/4 cup washing soda** (not baking soda)
1/4 cup borax powder**
Add to pot and continue stirring:
2 cups hot water
Add to mix and stir thoroughly:
1/2 gallon + 3 cups water (or 11 cups)

* The washing soda may discolor aluminum pans but stainless steel works well. The mix actually shines up my stainless steel soup pot.

USE: 1/2 cup per regular laundry load

Let the mixture cool and then put in a container that you can pour or pump from. (You don't have to wait for it to cool before using.) Once cool it will thicken a bit and it will separate, so shake or stir thoroughly before each use.

**Borax powder, washing soda, and Fels Naptha soap, can all be found on the laundry/cleaning aisle of most grocery stores.

Fels soap also works well for pre-treating stains.  Rub on spot before laundering.


1 comment:

  1. I'm going to do this! I've seen other recipes but never known the person first-hand recommending them. Now I do!

    ReplyDelete